Quality of healthcare information on YouTube: psoriatic arthritis
MetadataShow full item record
Background YouTube is an increasingly used platform for medical information. However, the validity of health-related information on psoriatic arthritis (PsA) on YouTube has not been determined. Objective The purpose of this study was to evaluate the accuracy and quality of YouTube videos concerning PsA. Materials and methods A YouTube search was performed on April 18, 2021, using the keyword "psoriatic arthritis." Two independent raters accessed the content, source, and detailed characteristics of the included videos. The reliability and quality of the videos were analyzed using the modified DISCERN score, Journal of the American Medical Association benchmark criteria score, and global quality scale score. Results Of the 200 videos screened, 155 were included in the study after applying the exclusion criteria. A total of 132 (85.2%) videos revealed useful information about PsA, whereas the remaining 23 (14.8%) were misleading. Video interaction parameters including the median number of views, views per day, likes, dislikes, and comments demonstrated no significant difference between the two groups. The videos posted by universities and professional organizations displayed the highest reliability and quality scores. Conclusion The majority of YouTube videos on PsA contained useful information. However, physicians should alert patients to the possibility of misinformation and non-validated sources. Professional organizations in the field of rheumatology, such as the American College of Rheumatology and European League Against Rheumatism, should consider collaborating with YouTube to deliver high-quality content.